FRANZ VON ZÜLOW
Franz von Zülow was born on the 15th of March 1883 in Vienna. He studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule of the K.K. Austrian Museum of Art and Industry in Vienna, received a graphic training at the Allgemeine Zeichenschule in Vienna, and was a short-term student at the Academy of Fine Arts at Christian Griepenkerl. He then went to the Kunstgewerbeschule until 1906.
In his early works, he preferred ink pencils, watercolors, and print graphics. From the mid-twenties onwards, the artist showed a stronger confrontation with oil painting, which gave him the best reviews and honors at home and abroad. In the 1920s and 1930s, the artist's brush-writing became more dynamic and the paint application more open, which can be observed especially in oil paintings.
After his marriage in 1922 with Thusnelda Opitz, he lived alternately in Vienna and in the Upper Austrian town of Hirschbach. He maintained contact with family and friends in Haugsdorf. Franz von Zülow presented his works at numerous exhibitions in Germany and abroad. Several study trips lead him to Germany, France, England, Holland, Italy, and Tunisia.
Franz von Zülow was born on the 15th of March 1883 in Vienna. He studied at the Kunstgewerbeschule of the K.K. Austrian Museum of Art and Industry in Vienna. Zülow received graphic training at the Allgemeine Zeichenschule in Vienna and was a short-term student at the Academy of Fine Arts at Christian Griepenkerl. He then went to the Kunstgewerbeschule until 1906. In 1908 he became a member of the Vienna Secession. In 1909 Franz von Zülow relocated his residence to Haugsdorf, where his mother and sister lived. From 1920 to 1922 he worked as a teacher at Schleiss ceramic workshops in Gmunden.
Zülow's art is rooted in the efforts of the Vienna Secession and the Wiener Werkstätte at the beginning of the twentieth century, from which his versatility can also be derived. He worked in various fields of applied arts and created picture books, calendar pages, graphics cycles, as well as wall paintings, carpets, fabric patterns, decorated household items, and he painted furniture and furnishings. The main emphasis of his work lies in the printing graphics, the technical possibilities of which he expanded experimentally. The paper stencil invented by him was patented in 1907.
Influenced by study tours through England, France, and Germany, his connection to landscaping, but also to the often harsh nature and peasant life in his Mühlviertel era, flourished. From 1949 on he taught at the Linz School of Art and became the initiator and president of the Mühlviertler Künstlergilde. Zülow was not an artistic hermit, but very communicative. His overwhelming creativity was reflected in his contemporaries in Hirschbach and Vienna. Franz von Zülow passed away on the 26th of February 1963 in Vienna.