Max Suppantschitsch was born on the 13th of April 1865 in Vienna. He studied from 1884 to 1891 with Eduard Peithner von Lichtenfels at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. In 1887 he received the special school painting prize, the Golden Füger Medal in 1888, and was mentioned honourably in 1890 at the Paris World Exposition. Suppantschitsch was a member of the Viennese Künstlerhaus and from 1900 to 1905 a founding member of the Hagenbundes. He was awarded the "Kleine Goldene Staatsmedaille" and the Golden Laurel of the Viennese Künstlerhaus. In 1935 he was appointed honorary citizen of the city of Dürnstein, where he lived and worked for many years. He chose motifs from the Wachau as well as Vienna and its surroundings. Max Suppantschitsch died in Dürnstein on the 19th of January 1953.